Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Capital Punishment: Eye for an Eye


I have not been around for a few days because I have been consumed with a local news story here in the Philadelphia area. An attempted robbery went tragic on Halloween when a man, 21yr old John Lewis, attempted to rob a Philadelphia Dunkin Donuts. A police officer, Mr. Charles Cassidy, unknowingly walked in on the robbery and John Lewis shot him in the forehead, without warning. He then took his gun and fled. He was caught nearly a week later in a Miami, Florida homeless shelter. He has since confessed to the killing. There are Philadelphia detectives now in Miami prepared to bring Lewis home, shackled and with Officer Cassidy's handcuffs on.


I sat today and watched the live coverage of the funeral of this slain police officer. He was a family man, and from the 6000 people who attended the funeral a loved man. I did not even know this man but I sat and cried. I cried for his family. For his friends. I cried because my dad is a cop and I could not imagine going through what his family is going through.


It is times like that that I think capital punishment should be mandatory. You kill a man, you get killed. And in my opinion if you shoot a man in the forehead, you should get shot in the forehead. You stab someone , you should get stabbed. You should not be allowed to live on death row for 20+ years living off of taxpayers.


This man lost his life for NO REASON. Simply because this robbery suspect was in the middle of robbing a donut shop and the cop interrupted him.


And what is more sickening? That is family harbored him for a few days and even helped him escape.


There are some really sick people in this world. And Mr. John Lewis, I hope you get your ass handed to you at the sentencing hearing.


I will keep you all posted with new updates on this story.


LINKS:








0 comments:

 
3 Columns Blogger Template by Amanda at BloggerBuster